I made a cake by stacking choux cookies which was really delicious. The basic choux is filled with Diplomat cream mixed with custard and whipped cream and stacked on top of a sponge cake, which looks like a cute cake. There is a dessert called Saint Honoré, but I made it easier by referencing it. It doesn’t look like much from the outside, but the choux is filled with cream so if you take a bite, the ice cream will fill your mouth. When making it at home, I thought it would be great to make the choux directly in the bowl without using genoise. It’s a lot of work, but it’s really delicious, so I’m happy every time I eat it with a fork.
2 egg yolks
3g vanilla powder
35g unsalted butter
35g soft flour
40 g unsalted butter
45g of water
55g soft flour
170g fresh cream
170g milk cream
18cm sponge cake
Ice cream decoration 200g fresh cream + 20g sugar + 100g custard ice cream
1. In a pot, mix the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla powder, then add the corn starch and mix well, then add the milk and mix well.
2. Stir over low heat and simmer until thickened. Transfer to another bowl and let cool in the refrigerator.
3. Lightly beat unsalted butter, add sugar, mix well, sift in flour, mix well to form a mass.
4. Spread it on parchment and harden it in the refrigerator.
5. Put unsalted butter, salt, milk and water in a pot and cook until butter melts, sift flour and mix well.
6. Reduce heat to low and sauté until dough changes color.
7. Transfer to another bowl, spread thin, let cool slightly, break in eggs, divide into 4-5 times dough and mix well.
8. Put the dough in a piping bag with a round tip, place in a baking tray, cut the hardened cookie dough into circles and place on top of the choux dough.
9. Bake in the preheated oven at 190 degrees for about 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 160 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes, open the door ajar and let cool in the oven for about 15 minutes.
10. Add the sugar and beat the whipped cream until stiff peaks form, gently beat the cooled custard cream and mix into the whipped cream.
11. Make a hole in the back of the cookie base and fill the piping bag with whipped cream.
12. Make the same icing, put it in an ice cream bag with a tip (869k), squeeze 1 line on the sponge cake, put 7 choux cakes.
13. Squeeze the cream in the center of the choux, squeeze the cream in the center, place the choux, squeeze the cream on top of the choux, arrange 5 choux balls into a circle.
14. Squeeze the cream in the center of the choux, squeeze the cream on top, place 3 chouxes, squeeze the cream in the middle and finish with 1 choux on top.