500g All-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Instant Dry Yeast
60ml Vegetable Oil
33g grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl, add flour, yeast, sugar, salt, garlic powder and mix. Make a well in the middle and add eggs, oil and water. Knead the dough on low speed. If the dough is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water, if the dough is too sticky, add 1-2 tablespoons of tapioca starch. Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes. Add chopped parsley, thyme, oregano, parmesan and knead for another 2-3 minutes. The dough should be soft and smooth.
2. Put the dough into the oiled bowl, cover with cling film, leave in a warm place to incubate for 1 hour. Until doubled in size.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a long rope about 1 inch thick. If the strings shrink when you try to wind them, let them rest for 5 minutes to let the gluten stretch, then try again.
4. Braid the challah as described in the video. Place the challah braids on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise for 45-60 minutes
5. Preheat oven to 360F (180C).
6. Brush lightly with beaten egg and oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.