About 6 pairs of cakes with a diameter of about 9~10cm
[ Whoopie Pie ]
85 g unsalted butter
120g light brown sugar
2g vanilla extract
190g all-purpose flour
30g cocoa powder
4g baking salt
3g instant coffee powder
180g Buttermilk (= If you don’t have one, mix 170g milk with 10g vinegar or lemon juice and substitute)
1. Lightly loosen the butter at room temperature.
2. Add brown sugar, salt and instant coffee powder and beat until butter color becomes light and puffy.
3. Beat while adding eggs and vanilla extract do not chill at room temperature for 2-3 batches.
4. Mix flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and sift together.
5. Sift dry 1/3 → buttermilk 1/2 at room temperature → dry 1/3 → buttermilk 1/2 → dry 1/3 of the mixture in order. (I used a hand mixer on low speed, but if you’re worried about over-mixing, you can use a whisk)
6. Place it in a piping bag and place it roundly on parchment or Teflon sheets. (Using 803 round tip)
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.
* Smeg / Unox / Gierra etc. Convection oven: 170 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes
*If you have time, if you bake a Whoopie Pie the day before and store it in an airtight container for a day, the moisture will spread to the cake and the cake will be much more moist.
[ Filling marshmallows ]
75g granulated sugar
125g corn syrup
50g egg whites
3g vanilla extract
A little salt
1. Put water, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a pot and heat to 118 degrees Celsius.
2. Pour 1 into the beaten egg whites little by little while whisking.
3. When 2 cools, whip until very firm.
4. Put it in a pastry bag with a round tip and sandwich it between two Whoopie Cakes. (Tip number 803)
* Storage: 1 day at room temperature, 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator, 2 weeks frozen. When storing, it should be covered to prevent it from drying out. It tastes better after keeping it at room temperature for a while than it does in the cold state.