Today, I’m going to make a chocolate Swiss roll cake that is easy to make, but so delicious and beautiful.
Swiss roll cake refers to a cake made by spreading jam, cream or buttercream on a thin and wide bread, and then rolling it into a roll with the applied side facing inward.
Although it is easy to mistake its origin for Switzerland due to its name, its actual origin is known to be Central Europe, and it is said that they began making it around the 19th century.
In English, it is also called Swiss roll or Jelly roll and originally meant a cake with jelly, but in the process of developing as a basic item of Western-style bakery, syrup and whipped cream are spread on a cake sheet and other ingredients such as fruit (filling) are applied. It came to be used as a term to refer to a column-shaped cake made by rolling up a sheet after adding.
Jam, buttercream, lemon curd, and ganache (made by mixing heavy cream with chocolate and heating until the chocolate melts) are sometimes used as fillings for jelly roll cakes. Jelly roll is a thin sponge cake rolled into a cylinder shape with jam spread on one side.
Shall we make a Swiss roll cake with the chocolate we all love?
● Chocolate Cake
( Mold size : 37cm*26cm )
35g sugar ( 3 Tbsp )
a pinch of salt
5ml vanilla extract ( 1 tsp )
60g milk ( 4 Tbsp )
45 g vegetable oil ( 3 Tbsp )
( Grape seed oil 0 , Canola oil 0 , Soybean oil 0 , Corn oil 0 , Olive oil x )
Cake flour 70g (1/2 cup) – (can be replaced with 62g all-purpose flour + 8g cornstarch)
18g cocoa powder ( 3 Tbsp )
2 g ( 1/2 tsp ) baking powder
5 egg whites
80g sugar ( 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp )
● Chocolate Ganache
125 g dark chocolate (1/2 cup + 1/4 cup)
65g heavy cream ( 4 Tbsp + 1 tsp )
10g starch syrup ( 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp )
● Shiny mirror glaze
50 g water ( 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp )
100g sugar ( 1/2 cup )
100g starch syrup ( 1/2 cup + 2 tsp )
65g sweetened condensed milk ( 4 Tbsp + 1 tsp )
8 g powdered gelatin ( 1 Tbsp )
+ 40g water )
100g dark chocolate ( 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp )
1. Yolk 5 + 35g sugar, Mix quickly to avoid lumps in the yolks. 5ml vanilla extract + 60g milk (Milk Temperature: 50C Oil temperature: 50C ). Mix a pinch of salt + 45 g vegetable oil.Mix well Cake flour 70g +18g cocoa powder + 2 g baking powder.
2. 5 cold egg whites ,add 80g sugar after dividing it into thirds.
3. Divide the meringue into three parts and add them.
4. Fill the dough from the corners. After preheating to 180C (356F) Bake at 170C ( 338F) for 26~28 minutes.
5. Dark Chocolate Ganache, 125 g dark chocolate + 65g heavy cream+ 10g starch syrup (If you add starch syrup, the ganache will not harden easily.) . 1 minutes in the microwave ( Twice for 30 second each )
6. Meanwhile, the cake is baked. Remove the edge paper immediately ,turn over and cool. Turn the cake over just before rolling, cut the short side at a right angle. Cut it diagonally. Insert the knife into the cut at a right angle. (3mm depth)
7. Use about 1/2 of the ganache. ( It should roll well on the inside.)
Pull tight with a ruler. Seal the cake well to prevent it from drying out.
8. Fridge for 1~2 hours.
9. Apply on the remaining ganache, use plastic vinyl to make it smooth. 15 minutes in the freezer. Easy to make and so delicious roll cake.